Applications of Microfat and Nanofat in Sports Medicine
“We found that about 80% of the patients we treat now get better with a shot rather than with an operation.”
T. Scott Stanwyck, MS, MD | Orthopedic Surgeon
Sports Medicine Uses for Microfat and Nanofat
Microfat and nanofat obtained with the Tulip Nano System can be used in a wide variety of surgical and office-based procedures for:
Regenerating Damaged Soft Tissue
Eliminate or Decrease Pain
Understanding the Difference Between Microfat and Nanofat
Microfat and nanofat are adipose fat tissues that maintain the regenerative properties of native fat. Microfat can often be delivered through needles or cannulas that range from 18g to as small as 25g in diameter, depending on the fibrosity of the patient’s fat. Microfat adds volume and structure to the recipient site.
Nanofat’s primary benefit is regeneration. Nanofat consists of a regenerative matrix, which is key to tissue repair and skin rejuvenation. It is validated to be injectable with needles as small as 30g.
Together, microfat and nanofat have the potential to provide injured athletes with increased mobility and decreased pain without the need for invasive surgical procedures. They can also work in tandem with surgical intervention to promote wound healing and shorter rehabilitation time.
T. Scott Stanwyck, MS, MDWatch Full Video
The Differences Between Adipose Tissue and Bone Marrow
While bone marrow and adipose tissue are both rich in regenerative potential, they have a few key differences.
A fat tissue harvest is less invasive, less painful, and a lower-risk procedure than a bone marrow harvest, and patients are usually delighted to participate.
Unlike bone marrow, fat tissue retains significantly more of its regenerative potency throughout the aging process.
Autologous adipose tissue has been shown to repair and regenerate damaged soft and connective tissue, such as muscle, tendon, ligament, and skin.
Jodi Schoenhaus, DPM, RPhs, FACFASWatch Full Video
Robert Alexander, MD, DMD, FICSWatch Full Video
Incorporating Regenerative Microfat and Nanofat into Your Sports Medicine Practice
Whether you use microfat and nanofat in a standalone procedure or in conjunction with surgery, Tulip’s patented technology makes your experience with microfat and nanofat safe, easy, predictable, and cost-effective. As the leading company in fat transfer for over 30 years, Tulip has the expertise to help you incorporate the use of orthobiologics into your practice.
Everything You Need to Obtain Nanofat: The Tulip GOLD Kit
Tulip’s GOLD (Gentle Office-Based Lipoaspirate Delivery) kit provides everything you need to harvest and prepare microfat and nanofat for use in an office-based setting.
Using a closed syringe lipoaspiration system, our GOLD kits provide a less traumatic and more efficient approach to acquiring Adipose Tissue Complex (ATC) as a structural graft without surgery.
- The protocol and the kit have been clinically validated for safety, ease of use, viability, and consistent output, leading to more predictable outcomes.
- Tulip’s “Soft Harvest System” provides a safe and efficacious low-pressure acquisition of ATC.
- The harvested fat can be used as microfat (which is not sized down) or sized down into nanofat.
Tulip GOLD Kits Provide These Advantages for Sports Medicine
- Safe and easy-to-use closed adipose tissue harvesting and sizing
- Validated process resulting in consistently high concentrations of regenerative ATC and nanofat that is validated to be injectable with needles as small as 30g
- Increased patient safety by using their own tissue
- Set your practice apart by offering the regenerative treatments patients are asking for
Published articles on the science behind adipose regenerative therapies and the varied functional uses of adipose in orthopedic medicine.
- Intra-articular injection of bone marrow aspirate concentrate (BMAC) or adipose-derived stem cells (ADSCs) for knee osteoarthritis: a prospective comparative clinical trial
- Infrapatellar Fat Pad-Derived Stem Cell-Based Regenerative Strategies in Orthopedic Surgery
- Pain relief and cartilage repair by Nanofat against osteoarthritis: preclinical and clinical evidence
Schedule a Demo
Tulip team members are available to demonstrate products and to train you and your staff. Learn how to supercharge your microfat injections with TRUE NanoFat and how to use TRUE NanoFat™ for under-eye discoloration, scar revision, and non-surgical facial tightening and brightening.Request Demo
Browse Our Product Catalog
Download our current product catalog here.Download Catalog
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Learn about new products, developments and events.Newsletter Sign Up